collage

collage

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

KOOL!!! (aid)

Yesterday I had a hankering to do something a little different. I have been eyeing all the rainbowy speckled yarns around and thought I'd give it a try. I had a little over half a hank of Knit Picks Bare Fingering leftover from some socks and thought I'd go in search of some Kool Aid to give dying a try. I've been put off by the idea of dying because it seemed like a lot of work, and you need special dyes and separate dye pots and…and…and… Too many ands for me! But Kool Aid is available everywhere, and since it's food you can dye in any pot you want to and best of all IT SMELLS AWESOME!!

My local Target only had a few options for me so I just bought one packet of each of the ones they had on hand. Turns out most of them were red. I didn't realize that the color of the drink in his glass on the packet relates to the color of the drink… live and learn.


 Sorry for the blurry photo here but these are the flavors I used. My favorite flavors/colors were the blue raspberry and the orange. I think if I had not had so much water in the pot I would have gotten more speckles and less overall color, but all in all for a first try I think it came out great.




I can't wait to see how this knits up. I'm planning on knitting some short no show type socks to wear for summer. Hopefully there's enough of this to accomplish that. 

And now off to scour the local grocery stores for all the different colors so I can try this a few more times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment