collage

collage

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Lest you think there's only sewing going on in these parts...

Knitting will always be my first crafty love. My mother was an amazing knitter and she taught me so many times, I can't believe it took me until my late 20's to really get going. I knit when I'm bored, frustrated, angry, happy, restless, which basically means I knit pretty much every single day even if it's only one row. It has to be at least a full row, because I have learned that I am incapable of leaving my knitting mid row! It just doesn't jive with my personality.

Currently on the knitting agenda we have two WIP's that are moving along...


First up are my Rib and Cable socks :




I love knitting socks for several reasons. First off, I love the way a hand knit sock fits my foot and calf. It seems that every single store bought sock I have ever worn, has left sock indentations in my calf when I take them off and I just can't stand that. My handknits never do this. Secondly, they are infinitely portable. This pair was started with the sole purpose (ha ha) of being my airplane knitting. Knitting socks using the magic loop method makes them the ultimate airplane knitting, as you never risk dropping a needle and having to squeeze yourself down onto the floor in your row (yuck) searching for it. It also has the added benefit of not scaring  your seat-mate with all those pointy sticks! As you can see above, these socks have been a lot of places... in fact these socks have been to 5 states so far!

My second WIP just got started last night. It's going to be Paulie:



It doesn't have a project page yet, but I will get on that. I've had this Gloss Fingering from KP in my stash for years now, and haven't known what to do with it. Originally it was purchased with the intention of knitting a second Thermal, but I have decided a cardigan would be much more wearable in my new climate. 
The stripes will be rather subtle since I have set a goal for myself to only knit from stash until it is pretty much all knit up, or until Stitches West 2014! It's a pretty soft goal, because I will purchase more yarn at Stitches next year whether I achieve it or not, but basically I will not enter a yarn store for more than needles or wool wash until then. Therefore I am using up the two skeins of Gloss I have left over from the Thermal I knit years ago. The blue will be the main color and is called Dusk and the green for the stripes is called Woodland Sage. It appears both colors have been discontinued. 

I will keep you updated on the progress of these projects. I expect those socks will be finished pretty soon and I know exactly the yarn I will be casting on once they are done! 


Until next time y'all! 


No comments:

Post a Comment